Management and Leadership in Social Work: A Competency-Based Approach (Paperback)
(This is a special order book which cannot be returned.)
Full of expert guidance on leadership and management, this unique book is geared specifically to the needs of social work administrators, educators and practitioners in both academic and agency settings. The contents are fully comprehensive and encompass both theoretical approaches to management and leadership plus a wide variety of practical strategies that can be directly applied to practice.
Topics blend the art and science of leadership and management and incorporate all competencies and practice behaviors required by Network for Social Work Management (NSWM) and Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). These include understanding different leadership styles, practicing self-reflection and self-care, methods to motivate teams and mentor others, developing strategic plans, understanding financial management, marketing, fundraising, human resources, program evaluations, community collaboration, and much more. Additionally, the text illustrates the parallels/disparities between social work practice skills, knowledge, and ethics, and those of leadership and management. Instructor resources include PowerPoints for each chapter, lecture notes, and sample syllabi. Print version of the book includes free, searchable, digital access to entire contents.
- Geared specifically to the needs of social work educators and practitioners in academic and agency settings
- Incorporates all competencies and practice behaviors required by NSWM and CSWE as cited in each chapter
- Discusses the differences between management and leadership along with best practices
- Fosters knowledge and skill development through the use of competency-based real-life cases, self-reflective exercises, and thought-provoking questions
- Offers examples of how to motivate and work with different age cohorts, community groups, and other stakeholders
- Addresses the challenges of financial management and fundraising
- Exhibits specific problem-solving and decision-making strategies